This workshop can be done as a personal reflection but it is richer in experience if shared with friend, or used in preparation of nonviolent campaigns.
Personal experience of violence
- What is violence from an experiential point of view.
- What is your own experience of violence, whether as victim or as perpetrator. Classify the experience according to the type of violence: Physical, Economic, Psychological, Racial, Religious, Ecological, Sexual, Age-related, etc
- Describe the types of violence that worry you the most, whether you are directly involved or not. Describe how this affects your image of the future.
- Discuss with others alternative ways to respond to situations of violence. Think how people you admire for their non-violent position would deal with such situations.
- Conclusions. What are the common elements that make violence an important issue in people’s lives? What are the common elements that make violence recede?
- Plan for the week. Make a plan to start to affect, positively, a situation of violence that is troubling you at the moment.